It is so warm and moist, and buttercream icing really complements it well. I made this particular cake for my British in-laws at Thanksgiving last year. It was a huge hit with my husband’s family and I found the instructions very easy to follow and had no problems during baking. I’ve served it on two seperate occasions and it’s always been devoured very, very quickly. I definitely recommend it to first-time bakers, or anyone with a love of spice cake in general. Try adding 1/2 cup of applesauce to make it more moist.
I had absolutely no problem with this recipe; the cake turned out fantastic. It was SO moist and SO flavorful. Awesome. 🙂
Moist Tender Spice Cake
- 2 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened until easily spreadable
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a metal or disposable foil 9-by-13-inch pan. Whisk dry ingredients and spices in a large bowl. Mix milk, eggs and vanilla extract in a 2-cup measuring cup.
- Beat softened butter into dry ingredients, first on low, then medium, until mixture forms pebble-sized pieces. Add about 1/3 of the milk mixture and beat on low until smooth. Add remaining milk mixture in two stages; beat on medium speed until batter is just smooth. Add the sugar; beat until just incorporated, about 30 seconds. Pour batter into cake pan.
- Bake until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the cake’s center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Set pan on a wire rack; let cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the pan perimeter and turn cake onto rack. Let cool.